Please call us today for a brochure or speak to a member of our team to see how we can help you, or your loved ones continue to enjoy the comforts of that all important place, home.

Meeting the cost of care

A number of options available to finance your care



This guide to funding options illustrates ways in which home care services are often financed and would ultimately depend on the level of support required.


The cost of care could be less than you think, especially if only requiring a little amount of help each week, and the costs can often be met out of normal income, pensions and allowances. If you require more comprehensive personal care services, which cannot be met by the local authority, thought must be given as to how this funding is achieved.

Please refer to the allowances which might be claimed ᴠthe end of this section.

For many people their main asset is usually the family home, and with the receipt of pensions and benefits it is often the case that you can continue in your own home receiving home care services instead of an alternative residential care option. Because you wish to continue living at home you may also have to consider alternative funding options, such as equity release and annuity based schemes.

Many different financing schemes are available to fund your care and nursing; each scheme needs to be tailored to your specific financial circumstances and you should take proper independent advice.

Inheritance tax planning can reduce the overall cost of care and nursing by 40% if your home and other assets are worth more than ⵬000 (IHT Nil rate band tax year 2009-2010).

For such individuals, the net cost of care & nursing is 60% of the total fee; this is because the cost of the care service reduces the value of the estate and related inheritance taxes accordingly.

Your children and future beneficiaries of your estate should be included in any discussions and legal arrangements on care funding.

We are not qualified to give advice about which funding option might be most suitable for your needs. You should seek independent financial advice.


The Government and local authorities provide financial assistance, advice and other forms of support to elderly, sick and disabled people who need help with their personal care or nursing. Assistance may vary between different areas of the UK.

Social Services Support and 'Direct Payments'

Your local Social Services can arrange and may pay for, or contribute towards, the cost of your care but not any nursing you may need.

If you want them to pay for your care they will means-test you. They will ask about your weekly income including pensions, earnings and benefits and about your savings and investments. The value of your home or car is not considered and they will generally ignore any savings or investments you may have if they are less than about ⬲50 (the figures vary from area to area).

East Sussex County Council's website says "If you have savings of over 㬰00 you will have to pay the full cost of the care you receive. This charge begins from the date your care begins.

You may not have to pay anything if you have savings or capital below ⬲50 and have income (other than earnings from any work that you do) of less than:

㱶2.50 a week if you are over 60
㱱4.75 a week if you are aged between 25 and 60, or
㹸.06 a week if you are aged between 18 and 24.

Once you have been assessed to have less than 㬰00 we may offer you help towards your cost of home care".

The Council will then work out how much you may need to pay towards the cost of providing you with care.

If you are entitled to local authority financial support, as an alternative to actually providing you with care, councils are now obliged (if you meet certain conditions) to offer you Direct Payments. With this regular cash income you can opt to pay for private homecare and related activities such as shopping services.

If you are a volunteer Carer (e.g. a relative or neighbour) you may also be able to get Direct Payments.

You cannot use Direct Payments to pay for permanent places in residential or nursing homes or to buy care from the council.

Social services can also suggest special equipment to make your life easier, e.g., grab rails and bathroom aids.

Grants for adapting housing may be available from local Community Occupational Therapists (details available through your GP).

For more information about getting help from the Social Services contact the care managers via your local county council office or equivalent authority.

NHS Continuing Care

Your every nursing and care need is entitled to be paid for 'in any setting' - including in your own home - if, following a short clinical assessment, your local health authority agrees your health needs meet their criteria for funding.

The value of Continuing Care may exceed 찰0 per week. You do not receive the cash, the NHS spends it on your behalf in accordance with the needs and aims stated within a Care Needs Assessment.

The health authority (Primary Care Trusts in England, Health Boards in Scotland and Wales) are obliged to take the wishes of the client into account. If you want, for example, to have a live-in nurse provide you with the care you need at home you should make this clear as early as possible during the care needs review.

If your partner is your main Carer, he or she may need a break now and then. Continuing Care funding may help to pay for professional respite services, e.g. a visiting nurse for an afternoon or sometimes a live-in nurse for a week.

Continuing Care funding criteria may vary from area to area, but to be eligible you must usually suffer from a serious life-limiting or terminal condition.

There are several kinds of 'Continuing Care'. You may be eligible for help under more than one. For example, your health authority and local council may use different schemes to jointly co-ordinate and fund one package of care that meets both your health and social care needs.

To find out more about Continuing Care phone NHS Direct (0845) 46 47.

Attendance Allowance

Attendance Allowance is a tax free benefit for people over 65 who need help with personal care such as getting in and out of bed, washing, eating, medication or mobility, or because they can become confused and need to be watched over. Attendance Allowance is not affected by savings and is usually unaffected by any other income you may have.

Telephone your Local Benefits Office or (0845) 712 3456 ; see leaflets DS702 and HB5 available from Jobcentres, Pension Centres and Social Security offices.

Carer's Allowance

Carer's Allowance is a taxable benefit for people such as friends and family members who look after someone who gets Attendance Allowance or Disability Living Allowance. Extra expenses can be claimed for paying a third party to provide care while you are out.

Telephone your Local Benefits Office or (0800) 882200 ; See leaflets DS700 available from Jobcentres, Pension Centres and Social Security offices.

Disability Living Allowance

The first watch man is astepping-stone to success opens a wonderful world, since it will gradually addicted to omega replica watches watch the world, an endless enjoyment. I hope you fans can find their own quality and rolex replica direction. Master series is the entry-level Longines choice, price and rolex replica uk excellent ornamental, is currently the uk replica watches best workplace selection work for men.
Disability Living Allowance is a tax-free benefit for children and adults with a disability or illness who need help with getting around or personal care and who claim before the age of 65.

Phone your local Benefits Office or (0845) 712 3456 .

See leaflets DS704 (or DS706 for children) and HB5 available from Jobcentres, Pension Centres and Social Security offices.

Independent Living Fund

The top-up fund that works in conjunction with Social Services. The Independent Living Fund (ILF) pays grants to disabled people with high support needs who wish to live independently. ILF disregards your earnings and that of your partner so you can earn without losing any funding.

Phone (0845) 601 8815 .


Senior Line (0808) 800 6565 .

A welfare advice line run by Help the Aged for older people and their carers. Free, confidential and impartial advice about benefits and community care.

Benefits Enquiry Line (0800) 882200 .

A confidential telephone service for people with disabilities, their representatives and carers.

Benefits Website - DirectGov



2/11/16 ghf edit